Do you want to know how to use a metal detector to find gold? If you are a novice and want to know how to find gold by a metal detector then you’ve got the right article. Here, I’m going to let you know all you need to detect the gold by a metal detector.
What is the Gold Detecting Process of a Metal Detector?
- The most common instrument among amateur prospectors and treasure hunters are gold detectors. Gold detectors are metal detectors for all intents and purposes, but they are specifically designed and configured for gold hunting. It helps to understand the science behind simple metal detectors to illustrate how these instruments succeed at finding gold.
- By projecting an electromagnetic field into the ground and then measuring the return signal, metal detectors run. Within conductive materials, the electromagnetic field transmitted by the detector causes loops of electrical current, called eddy currents. Eddy currents produce their electromagnetic field that is received and analyzed by the detector.
You may also like: How to buy the best Garret Metal detector? An Ultimate Guide.
- By testing inductance and conductivity, gold detectors take this method a step further. The amount of eddy currents generated in the target is referred to by inductance. Conductivity relates to the ease with which certain currents circulate. Gold detectors can measure the ‘time constant’ of a target by measuring the size of the eddy currents and how fast they fly.
The Important Tips of Finding Gold through a Metal Detector
- You have to do some research on gold detection before going out to detect gold. The majority of gold nuggets weigh less than one gram and are therefore very thin. In areas with heavily mineralized soils, most gold is located in places where it was previously discovered and recovered.
- As with every form of detection, on your search, you will want to make sure you have all the right accessories. To smash through the rocky ground or separate gold-bearing rock, you will want a strong pick hammer.
- It is always a smart idea to bring along a pinpointer when you have found a target and drug a hole trying to get to your discovery. These miniature detectors make digging a smaller hole much easier and discover exactly where your target is located.
- Several metal detectors will have search coil options. They can come in a range of sizes and shapes. Concentric search coils will search deeper but will not discriminate the same as broad scan coils. Larger coils to find larger nuggets buried deeper. Smaller coils can get into smaller spaces quickly and can work in mineralized soils more smoothly.
- Although it may be a boring move, particularly if you are eager to get out and find treasure, always take the time to read the manual that comes with your metal detector or pinpointer. If you’ve moved to a new computer, knowing the manual will help ease the learning curve because they are full of knowledge designed to get you out because recognize you quickly and easily.
- One of the most critical safety tips for gold metal detection is always to be mindful of your environment. Make sure that everyone still knows where you are going and what they should expect you to hear from them.
Why Choosing the Right Metal Detector is crucial?
If you are looking for a profesional at the same time all round metal detector which can be used to find any types of metal then don’t forget to look at these;5 Best All Round Metal Detector – You Should Buy Today
i) Not all metal detectors are created equal, and not all are great at locating gold as such, especially if the gold is in small pieces. In highly mineralized soils, which is usually where gold is located, many VLF detectors have trouble. Others have a better balancing of the ground than others.
ii) The high level of minerals can lead the detector to offer false readings or to have a hard time pinning a target down. I witnessed this when detecting it in Utah and Idaho. Both areas have heavily mineralized soils and are known to have been mined for gold and precious metals.
iii) PI detectors are always better right out of the box for soil balancing minerals but can be quite a bit more costly. Always do your homework before purchasing a metal detector
iv) If you want a VLF detector, you have to make sure that you have selected a model that is made specifically for gold or has a really strong ground balance. It is usually easier to use VLF detectors and is recommended for beginners or intermediate detectorists.
v) It is recognized that PI detectors detect at a greater depth than most VLF detectors and are usually better at balancing the field. For more advanced detectorists, PI detectors are typically made. These detectors can disregard heavily mineralized soils and locate the best gold metal detectors.
You may also like: How To Get A Knife Through A Metal Detector?